CALORIES CHALLENGE – PART 2 – MY 2 WEEKS TRANSFORMATION
Last 2 weeks I was testing on myself sticking to the plan from the Calories Counting Part 1, which means trying to consume around 1800 calories/day. It went.. almost as planned.
My starting point:
body fat – 34.4%
muscle – 30.4%
For monitoring my calories intake I used app MyFitnessPal. Why it’s cool?
- It’s good with barcodes
- It has nice summaries for vitamins, macros and such even in free version
- It also has a web version where you can get such graphs
So I started trying to stick to 1800 cal/day on 15th of May and here’s my real information:
This app can show you both all calories and netto ones. If I go running, running app sends data about approximate lost calories to MyFitness app and it increases how much more I should eat to compensate exercising.
- Counting calories is plain old boring. Making own food is sooo slow. I have to weight every item I put it, and i write it down on a pad and then put in all the info in the app.
- On the week 19-25th of May I traveled and it screwed up how much I ate and then I continued to eat less. Not on purpose. My stomach got just smaller and after that I craved less food. Since I was physically and socially tired I wanted less food and more sleep. It really lowered my intake that week to about 1400cal/day – which is my resting metabolism and sooo not enough.
- Eating out is madness. After eating out and it’s not some super popular place like McDonals whose food is already in database, I have to search for very similar products in database or input manually approximate weights and values.
- I’m a vegetarian, so it’s kinda hard making it with protein, but I do eat fish and eggs to help with that.
- I eat relatively healthy – lots of veggies, but I still consume a lot of junk food. I was trying to cut on the crap food but from May 15th to May 31st I still did eat quite some chips and chocolate but still withing the calorie goal.
34.4% → 30.2%
30.3% → 34.3%
At first, I thought I confused the metrics, they just flipped places. I check my notes in app, notes from body check, notes in my planner… No! I was right. This is the result. I even reweighted and remeasured myself the next day because I couldn’t believe it.
Oh, and the weight?
I went from 71.9 to 71.1 kg which is basically nothing, but OK in the term of healthy weightloss of 0.5 kg/week. I’m slimmer but weight around the same for now.
So, this have been my May challenge. I’m super happy for surviving it 😀 It wasn’t as hard as exercising challenge but very tedious never the less. It was refreshing to stick to a food goal and I will continue with it. I will continue tracking calories as agreed with dietitian from the body check to help analyse my progress in two months. I don’t have other health issues, so simply not overeating is my way to get healthier without troubles it seems, and counting calories is a huge help to understand how much I should be eating.
Do you count calories too? Or think of doing it? Share your experience in comments.